Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Let's talk Japanese

Speaking is the easiest thing to do.

Speaking in a different language can seem the hardest thing in the world.

It really depends on the person; in particular, their application and motivation to learn and use the language.

Some people learn a new language quicker than others. This can come with a stronger motivation to learn the language or a better ability to apply the language to their way of life.

In any case, the more practice the better.

**********************

I've been 'exposed' to the Japanese language for the past 5 years. While I have fallen short in application, my motivation to learn the language has remained strong. It's a fun language to learn. It's more fun to use. It's just harder to use a language than it is to learn.

It never ceases to amaze me how easy it can be to translate a simple sentence from one language to the other but how difficult it can be to do this in a conversation.

When speaking in a different language it's best to listen, think and speak in that language. I often find myself thinking in English, translating this into Japanese and then speaking in Japanese. This makes me look slow and can often disrupt the flow of a conversation. Many kind people have patiently suffered my lacklustre conversations.

No comments: